Cape Town, 20 September 2018.
A great victory for extra virgin olive oils from South Africa at the 5th edition of Sol d’Oro Southern Hemisphere, taking nine medals out of nine in the three categories envisaged in the competition (light, medium and intense fruit).
De Rustica Olive Estate had the privilege to take home three of the nine medals awarded to the Southern Hemisphere. A gold medal in the intense category for Single Cultivar Collection: Coratina. A Silver medal in the intense category for Single Cultivar Collection: Favolosa. A Silver medal in the medium category for Single Cultivar Collection: Frantoio
The Giulio Bertrand Special Award also went to De Rustica Estate. The award was established to commemorate the Italian entrepreneur who died recently. He became an agricultural producer in South Africa in the early 1990s with the acquisition of Morgenster Wine & Oil Estate. His supported and shared the spirit of Veronafiere’s initiatives to promote qualitative improvements for extra virgin olive oil from the southern hemisphere.
“We are honoured to receive three medals for three EVOO’s in our Single Cultivar Collection. The bonus of the prestigious Guilio Bertrand Special Award left us speechless. We would like to thank Sol D’Oro for hosting an extremely successful event for the Southern Hemisphere. Our team work on the Estate and dedication contributed to these very special awards and we are thankful.” Joop Steenkamp, General Manager, De Rustica Estates.
“Sol d’Oro is the only olive oil competition that involves blind tasting,” explained Barbara Blasevich of the Veronafiere board of directors, who was in Cape Town to represent the organizers. “It is also the only competition dedicated to olive oils from the southern hemisphere that requires samples to be presented in commercial packaging and represent a minimum batch of 2,000 bottles of 0.50 litres or equivalent; the intention is to ensure recognition that brings supply and demand together, as well as being an interesting marketing lever for winners by being an acknowledged indicator of product quality and not merely of the company among international buyers,” Blasevich added.
To view the new Single Cultivar Collection and you can visit the De Rustica Estate Facebook page and Website for more information or Contact Precilla Steenkamp on 044 241 2543:
(The complete list of the winners is provided below).
THE WINNERS – SOL D’ORO SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE 2018
Delicate fruit category
• SOL D’ORO – RIO LARGO OLIVE ESTATE – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil RIO LARGO GOLD
• SOL D’ARGENTO – DIEPSAK FARM – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil GREEN AND GOLD PREMIUM
• SOL DI BRONZO – TOKARA – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil TOKARA PREMIUM
Medium fruit category
• SOL D’ORO – SERRADO OLIVE ESTATE – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil SERRADO
• SOL D’ARGENTO – DE RUSTICA ESTATE – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil ESTATE COLLECTION FRANTOIO
• SOL DI BRONZO – OAKHURST OLIVES FARMING LMT.– SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil OAKHURST MEDIUM
Intense fruit category
• SOL D’ORO – DE RUSTICA ESTATE – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil ESTATE COLLECTION CORATINA
• SOL D’ARGENTO – DE RUSTICA ESTATE – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil ESTATE COLLECTION FAVOLOSA
• SOL DI BRONZO – WILDEKRANS TRUST – SOUTH AFRICA – name of oil KEERWEER
Giulio Bertrand “Special Award”
DE RUSTICA ESTATE – SOUTH AFRICA
We would also like to congratulate everyone that receive a special mention.