The olive oil doesn’t just bring its resonant flavour to the mousse, it creates its smooth, soft texture. Go for a smooth but still spicy rather than raspingly peppery extra-virgin olive oil, and use the absolute best quality you can like our De Rustica Estate Medium.
- 150g dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa solids
- 100ml De Rustica Estate Medium extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large fresh eggs at room temperature, separated
- 1/4 tsp flaky salt, plus a pinch
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl that fits snuggly into a small pot of boiling water (not touching the water) and stir occasionally until melted and smooth or melt in 10-15 second increments in the microwave, stirring after each. When melted, leave to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the oil and set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites and a pinch of sea salt by hand or with a mixer in a grease-free mixing bowl, until you have firm peaks. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt in a separate large bowl until pale, thick and about doubled in volume.
- Gradually pour the chocolate-oil mixture into the beaten yolks and fold to mix completely.
- Add one third of the beaten egg whites and fold in vigorously to lighten the mixture; don’t be too worried about folding gently here. Fold in another third of the egg whites a little more delicately and, when the second third of the whites are incorporated, fold in the final third leaving behind any liquid at the bottom of the bowl of whites. Fold until no white streaks remain.
- Spoon the mixture gently into 6 small ramekins or espresso mugs. Now you can either refrigerate for 20 minutes before eating straight away, or pop in the fridge for an hour and let come to room temperature for 40 minutes before eating when you’re ready to serve.