Balsamic Olive-Oil Braised Green Beans are a quick, easy, and healthy side dish. For this braised green beans recipe, fresh green beans are seasoned with thyme, then braised with balsamic vinegar, olive-oil, onion, black olives, and topped with toasted pine nuts. Paleo, whole 30, low carb, and vegan friendly.
- 1⁄3 cup De Rustica extra virgin olive oil, Estate Delicate
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. maple syrup (optional)
- 1 cup whole black olives
- 1 lb. green beans, trimmed
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme
- fresh orange slices
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch pot or large saucepan over medium-high.
Add garlic and onion and cook until tender, close to 4–6 minutes.
- Next add your orange juice and optional maple syrup to the pot. Cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes
Place the olives and 1/2 c water in the pot with the garlic/onion. Cook for 5 minutes on medium high until olives begin to soften.
- Add your green beans, kosher salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and 1/2 cup more of purified water.
Cover and reduce heat to medium until green beans are tender. Check around 18-22 minutes.
- While green beans are cooking, toast your pine nuts. You can do this in toaster oven or regular oven. Simply place nuts on foil and in oven at 400F for just a few minutes, until golden brown. If you are using toaster oven, they will brown fast. Be careful not to burn.
- Once beans are cooked, place them in serving dish or keep in pot.
If placing in a serving dish, add about 1/2 cup of the sauce from the dish, plus your olives.
- Garnish with fresh thyme, orange slices, and toasted pine nuts before serving.
Optional pinch of red pepper flakes
Recipe from: (https://www.cottercrunch.com/braised-green-beans-recipe/)