This dessert is just as much about the moist, flavorful almond olive oil cake as it is about the brown butter glaze, and sliced almond topping. It is light, simple to make, and elegant for any occasion.
Almond Olive Oil Cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup De Rustica extra virgin olive oil Estate Delicate
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup orange juice (or substitute with milk, if you do not have any on hand)
- zest of one orange
Brown Butter Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- few drops of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched (or un-blanched) almonds, toasted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a cake pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, almond meal, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisks the eggs well. Add the sugar and whisk aggressively for 30 to 45 seconds. Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking continuously with your other hand to combine evenly. Add the orange juice (or milk, if substituting), zest, and both extracts.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, whisking gently until just combined and batter is even.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased cake pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool on rack for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Allow the cake to cool completely on a rack.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan or sauté pan over medium heat. Continue to cook the butter, swirling the pan continuously, until it is golden brown in color. Remove from the heat immediately (it will continue to darken off the heat). Set brown butter aside and allow to cool at room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sifted confectioners sugar and milk. Add the cooled butter, and drops of lemon juice (to taste). Stir in the toasted, sliced almonds.
- Place the cooled cake on a rack set within a lined baking sheet. Pour and spread the glaze evenly on top of the cake, allowing it to drizzle over the sides. Allow the glaze to set before serving.
Recipe adapted from (https://www.abeautifulplate.com/almond-olive-oil-cake-brown-butter-glaze/)